Backups are important right? Right.
Talking about backups is boring right? Right.
But each and every business owner needs to read this and make sure that any future discussions regarding backups stays boring. You don't want to be telling a story like the one below.
A business without its computers and phones up and running is losing money, so the project needs to be well managed to reduce the amount of downtime.
- Ensure you tell your suppliers at the earliest possible time the move is occurring. Get the account managers to scope out the new premises and ensure your services can be transferred to the new location.
- Make sure your disaster recovery plan is up to date. You don’t want to be caught by surprise if something goes wrong.
- Make sure you have warranties for your hardware and make sure it covers the time of your move. A business day warranty won’t help you if you need help on the weekend.
- Ensure you know where devices will be placed in the new premises. Printers, faxes, computers, etc. should all be drawn out on the office floor plan. Coordinate your efforts with the Office Manager.
- Use removalists that have a specialised team for moving hardware. Ensure you are aware of their practices when handling your precious cargo. ...