Be proactive about business continuity - COVID-19
Can your business continue if staff can't come into the office?
I wish I could tell you what is a beat-up and what is legitimate at the moment when it comes to the Corona virus, and without adding to unnecessary panic, it is a good time to consider some important Business Continuity questions for your organisation.
COVID-19 has highlighted the need for businesses to consider their Disaster Recovery Plan (DRP) and Business Continuity Plan (BCP).
At this moment, we are reviewing both DRP and BCP for Intuitive IT. The reality is, with the first instances of schools, companies and office blocks becoming unavailable, we need to consider the question:
If my staff can't come into the office, can the business continue to function?
As part of the monthly reports we generate for our Managed Services clients, there is a section for a business' DRP. For many years, we've highlighted the need for a documented DRP to help your business continue to function in all scenarios. If you don't have a DRP and are concerned, we recommend you raise this with Intuitive IT to ensure you are comfortable with your Business Continuity.
Given the current circumstances, we thought it would be a good idea to consider what your business may need to allow your staff to work from home, if that was required.
Some key things to consider:
- Are you cloud based or does staff actually need to be in the office?
- Do you require a VPN to keep working? If so, do you have the licenses required?
- Can your office internet connection deal with more users accessing internal systems from home?
- Does staff have fast internet connections at home to be able to work from there?
- Do staff have laptops? If not, then they may need to work from their home computers. Is this something you are comfortable with from a security perspective?
- What will you do with your phone system? Do you still use a fax? Can you redirect these to staff outside of the office?
If you'd like to discuss your BCP, DRP or anything else, please let us know and we'll be happy to have a chat.